Saturday, May 30, 2009

Race NRG Recipes


HAPPY SATURDAY!

I have been a little storm in the kitchen this weekend preparing for next weeks race: 36hr Full Moon In June Adventure Race.


I LOVE to experiment and create my own natural energy bars packed full of simple and healthy ingredients- all things that I can pronounce! Packaged bars and gels are great for convenience, size and energy calculations but they are often extremely processed, over-packaged and contain alot of 'extra' goodies that you don't necessarily want to be eating all the time.


So, I have created a few favorite recipes (and borrowed a few) that I use in my longer training days and races- and they are all in this blog post! You ASKED and you shall RECEIVE...


COCONUT LIME CHEWS: Top Photo c/o Bree Wee

These are very simple tropical gems that are packed with energy (ie calories) and great when you need to pack a punch in a small package. No wheat, no dairy, no eggs, no butter...



SURVIVAL COOKIES: Classic- this recipe came from Joanne, one of ELMs trail running participants, and has since been passed across the country! Again, these are packed with energy and goodness! Classic oatmeal cookies meet trail mix...





NO BAKE NRG BARS: From ELM buddy Sherry! I have experimented with plenty of combos following the base of this recipe and my favorites are Oatmeal Raisin and Nutella Banana! Here is the base recipe and my Oatmeal Raisin substitutes...I don't add protein powder, instead I add nuts and ground flax but you could use any that you like.
If you can't read this the base is: 1.5c oats, 1c skim milk powder, 2tbs ground flax, 1/4c nut butter, 1/4 c water, 2-4tbs protein OR 1/3c nuts ... you add whatever flavors you like...
BREAKFAST BEAN COOKIES: From 'One Smart Cookie'. These cookies are a meal in themselves and are suprisingly hardy with the addition of a can of BEANS! That's right...boosts the fibre and protein and gives them a neat texture...


Send me an email if you can't read any of these!
AND stay tuned for the ELM NRG Cookbook!!!
Cheers!



No comments: