Friday, October 17, 2008

Get Up! Get Active!

For nearly 2 years now I have been lucky to be a part of a wonderful group of volunteers who make up the Active Comox Valley committee (ACV). http://www.activecomoxvalley.ca/index.html Active Comox Valley (ACV) is one of over 150 ‘Active Communities’ in British Columbia. This initiative began in September 2005, and is aimed at promoting healthy lifestyles and invigorating community spirit through physical activity. We aim at increasing the rate of activity 20% by 2010!

When I first heard about this new task force I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of the excitement. Promoting physical activity and increasing opportunities for every person to become more active is something I strongly believe in and I was thrilled to see this new movement occurring in the Comox Valley. ACV is my first experience volunteering on a committee and I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience so far. We have so many ideas and I am excited about our plans for the future!

Over the past years ACV has launched some fantastic programs in the Valley. From community activies such as the 'Spring Meltdown' to the new 'Chefs on the Run' program for kids in partnership with Thrifty foods, ACV has been working hard to offer low or no cost programs in our community. One of my favorite ititiatives (and most popular) are the 12 great places to get active maps.

DOWNLOAD
12 Great Places to Get Active in the Comox Valley
Another 12 Great Places to Get Active for FREE

There is a new program: Nutrition Seminars, http://www.activecomoxvalley.ca/nutritionseminars.html that ACV is offering with the help of Thrifty Foods. Go to the ACV website to find out how to participate in this FREE nutrition seminar this fall! Also be sure to check out the seasonal ACV Newsletter http://www.activecomoxvalley.ca/newsletter.html with health and activity tips...there is a tonne of great info available! If you think this site can help someone you know by increasing awareness, opportunities or motivation, then please forward the ACV website to them.

Finally, if you have read this blog I have a favor to ask you...we are collecting ideas for free or low cost activities in the Comox Valley to create an inventory of ideas for our community. Can you email me your favorite free things to do in the Valley? I know you have plenty of great ideas and I would really appreciate your suggestions! Send your ideas to elmhealth@shaw.ca today!

Cheers,
Sarah.

No comments: