Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Burger Night






On the weekends I usually make 1 or 2 super big batch recipe's so that I can load up my freezer and make my life way easier when days are long and we are busy. So, this weekend I put 1 pizza in the freezer along with about 7 burritos before busting out a new big-batch veggie burger recipe to add to the kit.



On my birthday, I like to buy myself a new book (such a wild child) and my passion for food usually lands me in the cookbook isle. This year I picked up my very own 'Whitewater cooks' and I have been looking forward to trying out some of the awesome recipes in this book. Sunday was the day to make a big batch of Whitewater Veggie Burgers. We had friends stop by for dinner after they enjoyed a long bike ride so it was a tasty way for them to refuel before heading home. Here goes:

Whitewater Veggie Burger

Makes 15-20 burgers (they say 12)

1tbs veg oil

1 onion diced

3 cloves garlic diced finely

1 tbs cumin

1 1/2 tbs chili powder

1 19oz can black beans mushed slightly

1 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp cilantro and parsley chopped

2 tbs sesame oil

1/2 cup almonds chopped and toasted

1 cup sunflower seeds toasted

2 cups fine bread crumbs plus 1/2 cup ground almonds

1/3 cup soy sauce (or less!)

5 eggs

2 cups grated carrots

2 cups oats

oil for the pan

In a large skillet, saute onion, garlic in oil. Place in a large mixing bowl with all other ingredients. Mix well and shape into patties. Dredge in cornmeal or just fry as is in a little veg oil over medium heat until golden brown.

Serve on a whole grain bun with fresh slices of tomato & avocado, lettuce and red onion. Spread bun with sundried tomato pesto or chipotle-lime-mayo.

I paired the burgers with lemon-rosemary-olive oil potato wedges and left over salad from the night before. Perfect for dinner on the back deck with friends!

What is your fave veggie burger recipe?

SS



No comments: