Saturday, June 4, 2011

Avocado crazy

Do you ever think about what food you would choose if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life?

My sister Dani, always says 'tomatoes!' without a doubt in her voice. For me it is always a toss up between avocados and mangos...I could live on a deserted island with either and be happy as can be. But there had better be a lime tree...

Right now both avocados and mangos are perfectly ripe for the picking at nearly every grocery store. Sure, they don't fit into my 100 mile diet- I know I know - but I eat as much locally as I can to balance out my tropical food addiction. The other option is way worse- flying to Mexico or Nica for my fix would create a pretty big footprint:).

Forgive me for my weakness and perhaps you will even join me...here are my fave avocado snacks right now:



My go to fresh fix :: Throw together a simple (but to die for) bowl of diced 1/2 avocado, 1 mango, grated fresh ginger and douse it in fresh lime juice. I was going to post of photo of this salad as I was just eating it when I began this blogpost...but it is gone now:)

Crazy Chocolate Custard:: you can eat this straight up, dip fruit into it or even ice a cake/cupcake with it after it thickens up in the fridge! Sounds gross but it is unreal...so creamy!
1/2 cup dates
2 cups avocados (2-4)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tbs vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2cup maple syrup or to taste.
Blend and drizzle in a bit of water if needed to lighten it up.

Classic Guacamole:: I grew up in a house where 'guac' ruled all. My mom grew up in California so she learned how to cook 'tex-mex' style and we were lucky to grow up on 'Chile Rellenos, Enchilada and Tostadas...all of which were smothered in glorious fresh guacamole:) I don't usually go a week without eating a batch and I really don't have a set recipe that I follow...but here is the idea for a batch:
2 avocados
1/4 cup red onion finely diced
1/4-1/2 cup fresh tomato diced
1tbs fresh chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2-1 limes
pinch of cumin
pinch of salt & pep
You can spice it up with chile flakes if you like...

There you go...the trick now is to go out and find the perfect avocado...Thrifty's never disappoints:)

Happy Trails!
Sarah.

No comments: