It only takes 30 minutes a day to feel like a million….
This challenge is one of many Sports Day in Canada events taking place across the country. What does that mean to our community?
- Last week a team from CBC came to see just how active our community was. They filmed kayaking, paddleboarding, mountain biking, aquasize, yoga and other activities around the community. This will be aired on Sat. Nov. 9 between 1:30-2 p.m. There is a possibility CBC might return to film more activities around our Sports Day in Canada event.
- Our community was chosen as 1 of 4 communities across the country to be featured on CBC national TV, which includes a $2500 grant from Participaction.
- We will be receiving a Sports Day in Canada tool kit to promote our Nov.27 Active Comox Valley 30 min. Challenge event. This will include hanging banners, posters, buttons and 2 adult shirts.
- The 4 winning communities are:
- Comox Valley’s 30 Minute Challenge,
- Yellowknife’s Tour De Yellowknife X country ski club,
- Bridgewater Nova Scotia Pickle Ball tournament
- Montreal’s Ligue de ballon-chasseur- Dodge Ball Tournament .
- Participating in Sports Day in Canada makes us eligible to enter our community in a Participaction BC Sportiest Community in BC Contest: the winning community will receive $1000 in Sports equipment. Active Comox Valley will apply for this after the challenge showing photo and/or video coverage of our community in action, demonstrating that we are the sportiest community.
What does the community need to do to participate in the Active Comox Valley 30 Minute Challenge:
- Commit to taking part in 30 minutes of activity on Wed. Nov. 27th and log your commitment at www.activecomoxvalley.ca/challenge to include your minutes in our community wide challenge to reach a collective one million minutes of activity in a single day.
- Initiate an activity with your school or group to participate in 30 minutes of activity together and log your groups activity at: www.activecomoxvalley.ca/challenge
- We’d love to hear about your group activities because your idea might motivate others in the community to increase their groups activity. Email email@example.com to have your group activity included in a list of community wide activities taking place on Wed. Nov.27th that will be posted on the Active Comox Valley Challenge website, and could be included in print advertising. Providing us with your groups information will allow us to possibly partner with your activity to provide a prize or incentive to keep your group active.
- Take photos of your group activity and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org and have a chance to win a portion of the sports equipment that our community will receive if we are chosen as the sportiest community in BC.
Why is Active Comox Valley initiating this challenge?
- Active Comox Valley came up with this 30 minute challenge as a way of motivating the community to stay active during the winter months.
- The Active Comox Valley Steering Committee is made up of health and recreation professionals who are passionate about community engagement. When you look around and see what amazing facilities we have in our community for year round recreation it is obvious that there is a collective vision towards a fit, active community. We want to highlight the resources available as well as encouraging the community to make being active a daily priority.
What is Sports Day in Canada?
- Sports Day in Canada takes place across the country on Nov. 30th. Communities across the country that host events in the week prior to and including Nov. 30 were able to apply to be a part of the Sports Day in Canada promotion. More info on CBC Broadcasting of Sports Day in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/broadcast/
- This national celebration of sport, from grassroots to high-performance, is an opportunity for all Canadians to celebrate the power of sport, build community and national spirit and facilitate healthy, active living.
- RBC Sports Day in Canada is presented by ParticipACTION, CBC and True Sport, and will be held this year on Saturday, November 30 in communities from coast to coast to coast who will be hosting events in the week leading up to, and including, November 30. More info at: http://sportsday.cbc.ca/about
For more information, contact:
Active Comox Valley Coordinator
Tel: (250) 941-1470