Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sesame Ginger Savory Rice Bars

Hello my patient 'savory' friends!!

For those of you who can't stand to suffer through another sickeningly sweet trail snack this post is for you!  As many of you know, I like to experiment in the kitchen and use whole foods to create natural alternatives to packaged/processed/pricey energy products.  


Many (like close to 15, 000) of you seemed to enjoy checking out my recent Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownies, but I know there are just as many of you who prefer a salty or savory snack over a sweet one on your rides, hikes, paddles and runs.  I have searched high and low for savory energy bars with healthy ingredients and save for one (check out the review here) I have yet to find any other options.  Seems crazy to me!  But, it is also soooooo easy to create your own natural savory bars in the kitchen.

You will find the recipe below- which I came up with completely by accident one day using up some left overs in my kitchen.  I think it worked out pretty good and the nori 'wrapper' was a fun experiment also.  If you find the nori challenging to bite through then you may want to make these into one bite bars, or thinly slice the nori sheet and fold into the actual rice mixture at the last moment rather than using it as a wrapper.

If you like this rice based bar recipe you will want to check out my little cookbook: NRG Foods that will move you!  for more variations as well as recipe's for natural sports drinks (no more syrupy chemical sports drinks please!) and more mobile snacks to fuel your adventures!  

Enjoy!

Sesame Ginger Savory Rice Bars
Makes 8 bars

2.5 cups cooked sushi rice
1/2 cup ground almonds
.5-1tbs soy sauce or tamari sauce
2 tbs melted coconut oil
2 tbs tahini paste (sesame seeds)
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp sesame oil
Nori sheets

Mix all ingredients in a food processor until well combined.  Line an 8*8 pan with saran then place in a sheet of nori and firmly press the rice mixture on top.  Place in the fridge until firm, then remove from pan and cut into bars and wrap individually.  Eat within 2-3 days or store in the freezer.

Enjoy!

No comments: