Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Coconut Cream Pie & Chocolate Orange Balls = OMG




I have been getting the best ideas from my participants lately...


Last week, at the Footwear Research Study Running Clinic, one of the gals mentioned that she had been listening to Podcasts during her run:walk homework on her own during the week.  She figured she might as well be learning something while she was listening to her iPod.  That got me browsing around in the apple store where I found a nice selection of free Podcasts to choose from.  I have run occasionally to the sounds of audiobooks but you really do have to be in the mood for a full on book I must say.  Podcasts are short talk shows/radio shows on any topic you can imagine.  Everything from politics to food, sports and entertainment to technology- you name it, you can find it.  The nice thing is they are also usually free.   Check out the apple store as a starting point.   I found a cool radio show called NPR TED Radio Hour.  I love TED talks and this Podcast highlights a few talks on a specific topic along with great interviews with the presenters.  Very interesting, and engaging.  Check them out!


This week at the Footwear Research Study the gang celebrated graduating from their 10 week running program!  Woohoooo!  Next week we will complete their re-assessments and then Kim and I have some serious data to crunch so that we can uncover the results from our study.  Very exciting!  Stay tuned!
One of the gals brought some yummy chocolate orange date balls to share with the group and the flavour combination inspired me to work on a new Sarah Bar/Ball recipe... You can find the original recipe for my Sarah Bars (inspired from the amazing Larabar) along with 7 different flavour combinations in my little cookbook NRG: Foods that will move you!  You can pick it up in the ELM online store in paperback or e-book sent right to your inbox in minutes!

It is my 'birthweek' so I gave myself a Wednesday Gift of an hour to play in the kitchen before work this morning, creating some new recipes:)  My second favourite place to play after the woods is the kitchen of course!

I created a Chocolate Orange Sarah Bar (how come I never thought of that amazing flavour combination before??) and a Coconut Cream Pie Sarah Bar...well, actually I went with balls rather than bars because it is a bit less fuss:) YUM!  Both were sooo delicious that I just can't choose my favourite recipe to post ... so here are both! 

Chocolate Orange Sarah Bars (or balls:)
1 cup almonds- process in food processor until moderate to fine texture
2 cups dates (mejoole are amazing)
4 tbs good quality cocoa powder
Rind from 1 organic orange grated fine
Juice from 1/2 to 1 orange
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add remaining ingredients to ground almonds in food processor until they combine.
Roll into balls or press into a pan and refrigerate before cutting into bars.  Store in the freezer!
16 servings

Coconut Cream Pie Sarah Bars (or balls:)

1 cup almonds- process in food processor until moderate to fine texture
2 cups dates (mejoole are amazing)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 teaspoon coconut oil (melted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add remaining ingredients to ground almonds in food processor until they combine.
Roll into balls or press into a pan and refrigerate before cutting into bars. Store in the freezer!
16 servings



Please feel free to share! 
Cheers,
Sarah.

No comments: