Monday, May 14, 2012

Chocolate Quinoa Cupcakes & A Ninja Roll

What an amazing weekend of sunshine in the Valley! 



Woot woot for summer in May!  The trails were absolutely perfect for riding and running- not too wet and not too dry.  Perfect grippy goodness under foot and tire made for big smiles and flowy single track. 

I did have a pretty close call flying downhill 1 hour into a 4 hour run/ride this weekend, that no amount of grippyness could prevent.  I opened it up on a sweet steep downhill trail and one of my toes got caught on a rock sending me literally flying through the air...over a nasty gnarly rock face... somehow I managed to fly myself away from the rocks and onto some nice soft moss that I spotted during the 'slow-motion-your-going-to-bite-it-and-break-something', flight through the air.  Crazy how the whole slow mo thing kicks in during those critical moments... Hit the moss and actually tucked into a ninja roll!  I have always dreamed of crashing like a ninja and finally it happened!  Popped back up, more than lucky, with nothing more than a cut knee and a couple of sprained fingers.  Good as new and back on the trail we went for another few hours of dirt:)  I am one lucky girl...haven't bit it that bad while running in many, many years...I figure I am good for a few more years now:)

We kicked off the ELM Off Road Half Marathon Clinic on Sunday morning and I baked up some treats for all of the Moms who got up early on Mothers Day to come out and run:)  Chocolate Quinoa Cupcakes with Peanut Butter and Honey kisses on top.  Apparently they were a hit, so I have promised the recipe...here goes!

Chocolate Quinoa Cupcakes with 
PB & Honey Kisses
*Props go to ELM instructor/Membership Co-ordinator Kathy Penner for this recipe!  No flour!  Gluten free peeps rejoice!

Preheat oven to 350, prepare 2 muffin tins or 2 cake pans
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/3 cup of milk or substitute ( used almond milk)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup butter melted- would coconut oil work the same?  Let me know if you try it!
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine milk, eggs, vanilla and quinoa in food processor or blender until smooth.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. 
Add liquid to dry and mix well.
Bake for 20-30 minutes - test with a fork.  They should bounce back when pressed.  Do not over cook!

PB & Honey Kisses- Just combine equal parts natural peanut butter and honey (a little vanilla is nice too) until smooth.  Pipe a 'kiss' on top of each cupcake...or smother them like icing if you are feeling crazy!

YUM.
Without kisses for 24 cupcakes:
143 calories

Enjoy!

Sunshiney weekend in pics...

Post ninja roll carnage...my biking buddies Gen and John soaking up the sweeeet sunshine...




Scouting for Adventure Running this morning... Can you name this trail????

Happy Trails!
Sarah


No comments: